You'll need - photo printed on plain 20gsm paper, block of wood, gel medium (I used gesso and it worked just fine), matte mod podge, paint brush, ink/s, sandpaper, water and a cloth.
1. clean board
2. brush gel medium over the board in an even layer
3. place print face down and smooth out air bubbles
4. allow to dry overnight
5. use wet cloth to soak paper then gently rub in circular motion so all the paper comes off, leaving the print on the wood
6. gently sand edges of wood and slightly over the edges of the print for rustic look
7. roughly and quickly ink the edges to distress
8. brush mod podge over the top and allow to dry
Quite simple with stunning results. Inexpensive thank you gift that looks great.
Below is my first attempt...now I know how its done its time to perfect it!